Revolutionizing Canadian skin health & dermatology care.
Wouldn't it be nice if seeing your Dermatologist was as simple as grabbing coffee with a friend? DermCafé gives you rapid access to online Dermatology care wherever you are. Skip the traffic, long waitlists, & tedious paperwork. After all, those are relics of yesterday's medical clinics.
After your dermatology appointment, you will be able get your prescriptions sent to DrugSmart with a simple click of a button. Whether it's a common medication or one that requires compounding, we will get it taken care of and ready for you as soon as possible.
See you in the Café!
How it works
- Get a referral. For your dermatology appointment to be covered by OHIP or UHIP you will first need a referral from a doctor. You can ask for a referral from your family physician, one of DrugSmart's on-call physicians, or one of DermCafé's family physicians.
- Book your dermatologist appointment. Once your doctor submits your Online Referral Form to DermCafé you will get an email link to book your video visit with a Dermatologist. You must register using this specific email link.
- Submit your symptom info and photos online via secure portal. This takes 2 minutes and streamlines the process so that your Dermatologist is prepared for your visit.
- Have your Dermatologist appointment. Log in at the time of your booked appointment.
- Get your medication. Any medication prescribed during your appointment will be faxed directly to DrugSmart. Your prescription will be delivered or prepared for pick up to ensure you get your medication where and when you need it.
- Access your results online anytime on the DermCafé secure portal. Download DermCafé info sheets, bloodwork forms, and book follow-up appointments.
What dermatological conditions can be treated virtually?
DermCafé is a completely virtual (online) clinic. All OHIP/UHIP visits are conducted via secure audio/video phone call and diagnoses made via securely submitted photos. Here are some of the concerns that can be treated via secure video or phone chat:
- Acne and acne scarring
- Other localized itchy skin rashes (contact dermatitis)
- Other facial rashes (seborrheic dermatitis)
- Facial skin discolouration (Melasma)
- Localized superficial skin infection (e.g. tinea)
- Female/male pattern hair loss
- Benign lesion removals in the GTA and Ottawa are available via transition to DermCafé physical offices
Frequently asked questions
- Why do I have to see a doctor before the Dermatologist for OHIP/UHIP-covered care? The Canadian Health Insurance Act requires that all Consultations with Specialist Physicians are first evaluated by a Referring Physician (e.g. Family Physician). In order to provide you with OHIP-covered care, we are obligated to work within this Health Insurance Act.
- How can I get my family doctor to refer me to be seen by a Dermatologist at DermCafé? Simply ask them to complete the quick, easy one-page Online Referral Form. If they have any questions, please feel free to direct them to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I still see one of your doctors if I already have my own family doctor? We encourage you to get a referral from your family doctor. If you are unable to do so, you can see one of our doctors and it will not negatively affect your own family doctor in any way (e.g. no "negation"). Additionally, if you can provide us with their office fax number or secure email account, our doctors can send them a letter after each of your DermCafé visits.
- Is my information shared with DermCafé secure? 100% of your information is stored and accessed securely. The entire platform is PIPEDA and HIPAA compliant.
- Does virtual dermatology and/or teledermatology work? Yes, it does! Published medical literature suggests that the large majority (80- 90%) of community dermatologic concerns can be resolved through Video Visits with a Dermatologist.¹ Medical decisions reached via video visits are widely reported to directly parallel decisions made from in-person visits.² It has been well documented that teledermatology has the potential for reducing overall costs in a medical system.³
- Can my prescriptions be delivered? Yes! As always all DrugSmart locations offer Canada-wide free delivery of prescription medication and over-the-counter pharmacy essentials. When the doctor faxes your prescription to us, your DrugSmart pharmacist will connect with you to confirm your details and preferences.
- When should I expect to hear from DrugSmart after my dermatology appointment? During our open hours, we will contact you within an hour of receiving your prescription from the doctor.
This is a DrugSmart-certified service.
This service and its associated providers meet the standards set out in the DrugSmart Pharmacy Commitment to Care. All decisions and processes are guided by these five core principles:
- Transparent. Be open, be kind, be honest.
- Bright. Be positive, be creative, be innovative.
- Driven. Never be satisfied. Always strive to be better.
- Service above all else. Be a champion for your customers, your patients, and your colleagues.
- Pride. Be proud to #BeDrugSmart.
Should you ever have an experience with a DrugSmart team member or service that doesn't meet the above Commitment to Care standards, please let us know.
Call us toll-free
Send us an email